WiFi over USB OTG?

Discussions related to embedded firmware, driver, and user mode application software development
Gymnae

Re: WiFi over USB OTG?

Post by Gymnae » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Old: I'm trying to get a dongle with an RTL8188C to run (Edimax nano) but it won't work. The OTG cable works with a keyboard when tested with an Android device and the dongle is OK.
According to the Wiki the chipset is compatible

EDIT: I made it twork, it was a matter of plugging the dongle it after the little box booted up.
The bandwith seems to be quite low, though. I adjusted the IP in the plutosdr sdr# plugin to point at the wifi dongle and it's not usable for wifi based DXing.

How are you guys using the Wifi? Is it speedy enough for SDR for you?

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Working here too!
Tested with D-Link DWA-110 V.A1 with Ralink RT2571W chipset, and using WPA2-PSK/AES. Since both chipset and security mode were not listed on Wiki, this is a good surprise.
But for me too, i have to connect the dongle after device has booted up. I have to wait about 30s after plugging the power (may be a little less), otherwise if dongle is plugged before power, or too soon after "Ready" light, it doesn't work.
DHCP also works if you don't put any IP address in config.txt.
I'm not able to test speed for the moment since i can't get gqrx to connect to Pluto (under Ubuntu). May be i'm not using the right device string (tried ip:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx alone).

c5e3

Post by c5e3 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:20 pm

1Msps works, if the receiving PC is connected via LAN here. i endet up buying the tp-link dongle, that was listet in the wiki.
@Gerald: try this: plutosdr,uri=ip:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

g4dcp-peter

Post by g4dcp-peter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Yes I could only do about 1.5Msps by wifi I've moved to a wired ethernet solution and can get 4+ MSps with that!

Now if only I could disable the TX channel I should get even more but have not worked out how to do that yet.

Peter G4DCP

c5e3

Post by c5e3 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:09 pm

i've experienced a new problem: if my power brick supplies slightly more than 5.2V, plutosdr connects to my wifi network, but as soon as i try streaming data, the connection drops. anyone else?

c5e3

Post by c5e3 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:15 am

i currently have the problem, that wifi stops working after some seconds sometimes. i now connected a usb-usart adapter to gain access to the shell.
ifconfig shows a valid IP, ping to the pluto fails however. dmesg doesn't show any problems though :\
i am not even sure, if it is a soft- or hardware bug. it works better with some power supplies & otg cables, with others it nearly fails always

sindyciaray

Post by sindyciaray » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:30 am

my test shell script work fine PhenQ

simonalia

Post by simonalia » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:17 am

Make that thing right without making any trouble on that foot Legal Steroids

savimakwo

Post by savimakwo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:13 am

How you can maintain that Wifi OTG to USB OTG ? Weight Loss Pills

JohnNun

Re: WiFi/Serial over USB OTG?

Post by JohnNun » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:55 pm

c5e3 wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:15 am
"i now connected a usb-usart adapter to gain access to the shell."
I have been trying to do that without success. I'm told that not all Serial USB dongles are currently supported.

Would you be abe to confirm which chipset your dongle uses, and if you had to install any drivers or did it work out of the box.

Thanking you in advance